7.13.2006

Current reading

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen - I'm about halfway through and I'm still not all that interested in these people. I did search the forums on bookcrossing to see if I should bother when I was about 100 pages into it and hated it. Luckily lots of people had commented how much they hated the characters. Somehow, knowing that these people were idiotic characters meant to be despised, ridiculed and laughed at, not with, made the reading easier. I usually empathize with characters. It's interesting to read a book in which I am so dispassionate about what happens to the people involved.

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - I have read a few classic Atwoods, Handmaid's Tale was my favorite. I noticed as I started this that I have started it before, but never got through the very beginning. So, I'm trying again. I'm back at this one and it's getting more interesting. I love her writing, so I'm not surprised.

Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler. She has such a following, I thought I would read this that I found at an unofficial Bookcrossing Zone. I'm half-way through and it's getting better. The first half has been boring. I finished the book before actually posting this so I thought I would give you an update. I hated this book! I can't believe how many people liked it. I looked it up on Amazon and it had over 3 stars. WTF? Do you people like reading about boring. My life is boring enough, I want to read thrillers, interesting characters, strange situations, humor. Make me laugh (Molly Ivins, Jennifer Weiner), make me cry (Michael Onnjade), keep me on the edge of my seat (J.K. Rowling) or at least MAKE ME THINK (Steinbeck, Douglas, McCarthy, Bradbury).

So, now that you see the list of 3 books that I'm reading simultaneously (which I hardly ever do), I wonder, why are they all boring me? I Hate not finishing a book. I will, just not very often. I keep hoping, some part of me must be an eternal optimist, that it will improve, the characters will bring forth some sort of empathy, connection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home