7.20.2006

Kinky?

http://tinyurl.com/m3plu

This Washington Post story about Kinky Friedman is very well written. And once you read it, you will see why a Jewish, devout democrat living in Texas, is conflicted. I don't know who to vote for. I can tell you it won't be Perry. I've hated him since he was our Ag. Commish. He's just a head of hair, which is all our Gov really is anyway. But, Texas's gov has a lot of figureheadedness since one became **shudder** President. So here's the dilemma, and I think it's a dilemma lots of Dems are facing these days.

Do I vote for Kinky, the independent who would likely embarrass the state, piss off everyone (including sometimes me and my feminist kind), but who really cares about real issues (education, housing, health care, jobs, environment).

Do I vote for What's-his-name, the Democratic candidate, who has about a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected in this 87% or so Republican state?

Or do I vote for **shudder** Republican not so cleverly disguised as Independent "Grandma" Keeton Rylander Strayhorn, who if she can't keep her name to save her dignity or her political career, what is she going to sell us out for, but has the best chance of being elected 2nd to Governor Good Hair?

Here are my thoughts on the issue:
I love the Democratic party, as flawed and flailing as it is. I think we have the true family values. Values of tolerance, inclusiveness, economic realities (hello budget) and concern (hello social services). I want to kick it in the arse, though. We need strong candidates, but seriously, can you blame anyone in their right mind (who is most likely a Democrat) for not wanting to run for public office when you are surrounded by and competing with a bunch of idiots? I mean Chris Bell seems like an excellent public servant, slightly boring, gets along well with most groups, doesn't yell freakishly, and he's not so good looking or charismatic that every woman on his campaign or leading a political caucus will want to sleep with him, or claim they did. But, that's the problem, too. We've frightened away the really electable ones. I don't want to throw my vote away. I still believe I can make a difference. (I'm still stinging from fickle, less-than-one-term, State Rep. Todd Baxter's win by 46 votes, ok, so it's better now, but still!)

Carole is who I thought I was going to vote for, until the past few days when I've begun to think about the realities of who she is and who the other candidates are. I reasoned that she is the only one with a chance to dethrone the R incumbent and give Texas fresh look. She appeals to my still buring love for Ann Richards. But who am I kidding, she's no Ann. She's an R and that's the one reason she does have a chance to get elected. I can't vote for an R;I wouldn't respect myself in the morning. And I don't respect her, although I do love her for giving Perry hell.

Which is why voting for Kinkster is looking more and more like my best option. I may still give it an old D vote, just for moral support, to let them know we are still here, don't forget us. But, I may swing to the Jewish cowboy. Either way, it's a symbolic vote. Ain't no way either of these men will make it to the Gov's mansion. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not betting the odds.

1 Comments:

At 7/20/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger mellonhead said...

Wow, someone actually reading my blog? Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I've read the Texas Monthly article and it's one of the reasons I'm conflicted. I'm reading through your blog now. I don't find too many of the articles you link to unreasonable, other than he is also an R in sheep's clothing, something I hadn't paid much attention to before. I am probably more educated on this issue than most people and I'm feeling very clueless! Can you imagine how the rest of those unsure voters are feeling.

That said, even I know to look at the whole and remember that many comments can be taken out of context and, in Kinky's case, many are said for the PR effect. Consider these thoughts from Kinky's website:

Q: How does Kinky feel about abortion?
A: Kinky believes in a woman's right to choose.


Q: What is Kinky's position on gay marriage?
A: Kinky supports gay marriage and equal rights for homosexuals. He believes that the constitution protects everyone.

I don't know what to make of him.

BTW - I'm proud there's a D out there still willing to fight the fight, one blog at a time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home